[Openfontlibrary] Newbie alert - How to even get started creating a font?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Mar 21 09:57:29 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 13:51 +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hi Richard!
>
> On 21/03/07, Richard Querin <rfquerin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Where can I find some good information on things like:
> >
> > - what free and open source tools are used (inkscape maybe?)
>
> FontForge is the premiere free software font outline editor.Inkscape
> is great for making drawing experiments, sure
>
> > - how to get started
>
> Keep searching the web :-)
>
> > - how to properly create ttf files (or some other format if that isn't the
> > standard)
>
> OpenType is the current standard. FontForge allows you to generate
> almost all formats of fonts, though.
>
> > - good sources for design advice and general information
>
> Typophile and the new TypeStudent, online. There are some proprietary
> books out there too, like 'Designing Type.'
>
> > While I know good font design is probably very very difficult and likely way
> > above my head, I'd still like to play around with it. Any information would
> > be good.
>
> The OFLB wiki has a lot of links in the External Resources section :-)

Dave and others, I think it would be brilliant for us to start on the
wiki, some getting started docs.

I think something like:

1.) Designing a Font for Open Font Library
2.) Preparing for Open Font Library
3.) On-going Participation with Open Font Library

Those three sections, once firmed up, we could really make pretty, get
published in a magazine and include on our site to help demystify font
creation for the masses (yes, its hard to do this, but good to try with
a specific angle towards our project).

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org