[OpenFontLibrary] Font embedding exceptions

Fontfreedom at aol.com Fontfreedom at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 12:47:13 PST 2008

>Also if someone has current contacts for past contributors, it  would
>be nice to get the font exception added to the  license.
>
>--
>Nicolas Mailhot

I really want to know if font / embedding exceptions are really needed. A
font is very distinct from the document it's embedded into, it would seem  to me
an embedding exception isn't really neccecary.

In GPL 3.0, _http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt_
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt)

This sentence would seem to make adding a font embedding exception
unnecessary:

"The output from running a covered work is covered by this License only if
the output, given its
content, constitutes a covered work."

When a font designer elects not to use an open source license  specifically
designed for fonts (such as the OFL) , using the canonical version  of an open
source license seems like a good idea.

FF
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.