[OpenFontLibrary] [Fontforge-users] importing font from PDF crashes FF

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue Nov 11 20:33:50 PST 2008

TrueType and OpenType fonts already have embedding bits and
tables/fields for including licence, trademark, copyright, designers
url, etc. in the font file. Trouble is the fonts embedded in PDF files -
especially if they were originally TT or OT - are *not* the same as the
original font file. Most or all of this information, which may have been
in the original font file, is probably no longer there in the PDF
embedded font.

Fonts in PDF files are essentially like the fonts in a document sent to
to a PostScript printer. (BTW with a terminal emulator, serial
communications with the printer, and a few simple commands you can also
"extract" fonts from a PostScript printer). Unicode fonts may get split
into a number of smaller fonts and all OpenType tables etc. are gone.

- Chris