[OpenFontLibrary] [Fontforge-users] importing font from PDF crashes

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue Nov 11 20:44:59 PST 2008

  On Nov 11, 2008, at 15:42, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Oh I see; you refer to some old PDF extraction lore on the web, that
> suggested using AR to print a PDF to PS and then get the font data
> from that PS?

This should be possible as long as the font is still in the printer
memory - Years ago with the aid of a PostScript programming language
manual, a serial cable attached to an NEC PostScript printer and the
COM1 port on my PC, and a terminal emulator - I tried this and found it
works, by causing the printer to send back the fonts as PostScript files
to my computer.

You can also use serial communications with a PostScript device to cause
it to render all kinds of nice patterns.

- Chris