[OpenFontLibrary] Implicit or explicit license info for typefaces on OFLB

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Wed Jul 15 09:45:14 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Interesting problem:

1. TTF/OTF font files are licensed individually (or rather, each has a
license field)
2. CCHost's upload form prompts the user to specify a license per
typeface record

I think 2. is actually desirable from a user point of view but 1. is
what's in the files (and is quicker - no box to tick).

If we abolish asking about 2. on the upload form then the information
about licenses is totally drawn from what's in the files, which is
probably sensible.

I already implemented a check that blocks uploaded files with
incompatible licenses but I don't currently check that all the licenses
in a record are the same (I have not heard why that is necessary
although I can guess it would be for package managers)

What does everyone think?

Cheers,
Ben

--