[OpenFontLibrary] Implicit or explicit license info for typefaces on OFLB

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Jul 15 10:27:29 PDT 2009

2009/7/15 Ben Weiner <ben at readingtype.org.uk>:
> Hi all,
>
> Interesting problem:
>
> 1. TTF/OTF font files are licensed individually (or rather, each has a
> license field)
> 2. CCHost's upload form prompts the user to specify a license per typeface
> record
>
> I think 2. is actually desirable from a user point of view but 1. is what's
> in the files (and is quicker - no box to tick).

2 is desirable if we were going to modify the license metadata inside
the fonts during the upload process, overwriting with what is
specified in the form.

But since we're in no position to be doing that, at least not atm, we
must do 1.

> I already implemented a check that blocks uploaded files with incompatible
> licenses

What are your compatibility criteria?

> but I don't currently check that all the licenses in a record are
> the same (I have not heard why that is necessary although I can guess it
> would be for package managers)

I think rather than checking for license compatibility we should check
for license uniformity for all fonts in the typeface record.