[OpenFontLibrary] What licenses do we accept?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 15 23:13:51 PDT 2009

Le mercredi 15 juillet 2009 à 17:24 -0500, Karl Berry a écrit :
> >> It's been relicensed to the OFL, which seemed compatible with the TUG
>     >> grant when we looked at it.
>
> Doesn't seem compatible to me.

Well, IANAL, and relicencing fonts gives me creeps, so I got it reviewed
by people who are supposed to have lawyer access. Though I suppose they
can make mistakes too and I'm quite ready to ask them again if someone
can point a clear problem.

> Just for starters, there's nothing in
> the Utopia text that lets a downstream distributor specify new reserved
> font names as the OFL does

Reserved font names are just an additional downstream licensing
restriction. Adding such restrictions is very common, you need very
special wording in your license to forbid them (copyleft licences are
about the only ones to do it which is the main reason some people hate
the GPL). I don't remind any such wording in the TUG grant. Care to
point it to me?

Nicolas Mailhot