[OpenFontLibrary] [Open Font Library] Upload Flagged

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Fri Mar 6 09:26:53 PST 2009

[...]
> This is clearly not the right procedure to take when a font is flagged
> as unsafe; ask questions first, shoot the font later :-)

Yes, a documented procedure is needed.

Here's a suggestion for a first go

For a first time plausible report for a given font,

(1) prevent downloads, but leave a preview image and info in place,
    with a prominent notice to say that licensing of the font in
    question is being investigated

(2) simultaneously, email the submitter and say that there is a
    dispute

(3) simultaneously, without putting the disputer and the submitter in
    touch directly, email the disputer and request substantiating
    information, with a note that if it is not provided within 90
    days, OLFB may assume the report to be in error and will without
    admitting any liability restore downloading of the font.

There then needs to be a documented conflict resolution process.

For subsequent reports, first response may be (for example)
"we already had a report about this font, no clear evidence was
provided of any infringement" and the Process only followed if
new information is included.

This would all need to be run past a copyright lawyer of course.