[OpenFontLibrary] Font upload process

Robert Martinez mail at mray.de
Sat Mar 21 11:29:01 PDT 2009

Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ed is cooking on the upload process for OFLBv2, and below I rewrite
> his email to me to explain some stuff publically :-) So this is mostly
> Ed's words, which I've wrapped in quotes.
>
> We are planning to force every upload to be a ZIP file, and thus, as
> Ed Trager put it, "enforce a set of quality standards, at least at the
> level of packaging, documentation, and licensing."
>
> "By enforcing this level of professionalism, we naturally encourage a
> similar level of professionalism at the typographic level too.  And of
> course we expect that when fontaine's report shows "missing glyphs"
> that this will encourage the font designers to go back and fill in the
> missing stuff."
>
> Also, "if on the other hand the user submits only a single TTF or OTF
> file (i.e., without the "proper" packaging as a ZIP archive with
> FONTLOG and all the other requirements), then fontaine will run
> against the uploaded file and display the report to the user. But the
> file will NOT be saved into OFLB! Instead, the user will get to see
> the preliminary fontaine report and instructions on how to properly
> package their work as a ZIP archive."
>
> Comments welcome :-)

Sounds great indeed!

Is there a simple overview what OFLBs definition of a "perfect" font is?
(maybe even explaining some stuff along, because I for example don't
know much about that)

I really believe that OFLB will have much higher impact when it turns
out to be a high quality resource.

Maybe some type designer wants some help in making a working submission
guide?
I hereby offer my services as a complete beginner :P