[OpenFontLibrary] licence

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Mar 22 04:40:54 PDT 2009

Le dimanche 22 mars 2009 à 11:24 +0000, Ben Weiner a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Robert Martinez wrote:
> > also should we use "FONTLOG" or "Fontlog" (is there a reason for
> > capitalizing it?)
> I think it's simply that the name FONTLOG follows the name README and
> INSTALL as found in software distributions. People say: "Read the
> README" so we say "Read the FONTLOG".

INSTALL and README are historic gnu-isms. The upper-casing was used for
projects that dumped every single file in the install root instead of
using subdirectories (caps sort first in ASCII).

However,
1. this convention does not work well for systems which are not
case-sensitive
2. this convention does not work well for systems that use localized not
ASCII sort (pretty much every modern system)
3. this convention does not work well for systems that use extensions to
auto-select the right application to use (that includes web servers that
deduce the mime type to serve from the extension)

In other words, it's a legacy remnant that should die die die. Please
use fontlog.txt and readme.txt instead. And if you have so many files in
your archive those files are hidden in the mass, put the other stuff in
subdirectories, keeping only the main files in the root

--
Nicolas Mailhot