[OpenFontLibrary] licence

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Mar 22 05:40:06 PDT 2009

I'm happy for it to be lowercase and in text not have the file extention,
and to promote a .txt file extension in contributed zip files.

Regards, Dave

On 22 Mar 2009, 11:41 AM, "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>
wrote:

Le dimanche 22 mars 2009 à 11:24 +0000, Ben Weiner a écrit :

> Hi, > > Robert Martinez wrote: > > also should we use "FONTLOG" or
"Fontlog" (is there a reason f...
INSTALL and README are historic gnu-isms. The upper-casing was used for
projects that dumped every single file in the install root instead of
using subdirectories (caps sort first in ASCII).

However,
1. this convention does not work well for systems which are not
case-sensitive
2. this convention does not work well for systems that use localized not
ASCII sort (pretty much every modern system)
3. this convention does not work well for systems that use extensions to
auto-select the right application to use (that includes web servers that
deduce the mime type to serve from the extension)

In other words, it's a legacy remnant that should die die die. Please
use fontlog.txt and readme.txt instead. And if you have so many files in
your archive those files are hidden in the mass, put the other stuff in
subdirectories, keeping only the main files in the root

--
Nicolas Mailhot