[OpenFontLibrary] licence

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Mon Mar 23 02:12:16 PDT 2009

Ben Weiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Robert Martinez wrote:
>> also should we use "FONTLOG" or "Fontlog" (is there a reason for
>> capitalizing it?)
> I think it's simply that the name FONTLOG follows the name README and
> INSTALL as found in software distributions. People say: "Read the
> README" so we say "Read the FONTLOG".
>
> Ben

Yes, as you know, the reasoning behind the FONTLOG is to provide a
descriptive template which merges the essential items from the usual
README/CHANGELOG/NEWS file, taking into account GNU/Free Software
conventions in software tarballs, but adding the specific structure
necessary for collaborative font design.

The majority of open fonts using a FONTLOG are released with a
FONTLOG.txt file in their tarball: with both caps and a .txt extension
to make it easier cross-OS and filesystems.

I suggest we continue recommending the capitalized + txt. extension
form.  Especially with the FONTLOG integration in FontForge.

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org