[OpenFontLibrary] licence

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Sun Mar 22 04:35:47 PDT 2009

Hi

Robert Martinez wrote:
> i'm about to explore the wiki and sometimes i find some glitches like:
>
> http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Other_licenses <- states only OFL &
> public domain are allowed
> http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/License <- states "...All the font
> files you can download from this site are licensed as free software
> <http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Other_licenses>, often under the OFL
> & public domain...", wich means it is not only OFL & pd
>
> things are getting pretty confusing here imho.

Would this be solved if the word "often" was removed from
"All the font files you can download from this site are licensed as free
software, often under the Open Font License (OFL) or as contributions to
the public domain."

?
> We should briefly show what freedoms/restrictions we guarantee for.
>
> If too much confusion will be the result I would probably vote for
> sticking to some simple rules  even if it means to loose some fonts in
> the library.
Well, license issues will always be a high-profile part of free and open
source software. The archives of this list are proof of that :-)

If we only host OFL and PD we will lose some quite important typeface
projects, and this is a current concern.

Ben

--
Ben Weiner | http://readingtype.org.uk/about/contact.html