[OpenFontLibrary] Why Drupal?

eric at authoritism.net eric at authoritism.net
Sun Jul 4 06:32:49 PDT 2010

Hi Ron,
great you’re here.

I guess we also need to look at what we wan’t to get out of v3 no?

What I would like, I can imagine to be possible with Drupal, or any decent
extendible CMF. Probably with Aiki too though I’ve never seen it up
close.

I think it would be good to move away from the CMS paradigm where the
content is stored inside the system itself. I would strongly favour to
*not* have font files in the cms, but rather have the website be a
front-end to a font-hosting service. Font-hosting as, hosting the source
code for open source fonts in a structured manner as Nicolas is
researching, in a proper distributed version control system. This way you
don’t lock up your font data in yet another system.

With DVCS you get the whole development collaboration model of software
development for free. Power users can bypass the web-interface altogether.
Power of distributed, OFLB fonts could also be clones of repositories
elsewhere. The web-based interface works just like a regular website, but
instead of interfacing with a database, it interfaces with the repositories
behind the scenes. Say a user uploads a new font, behind the scenes a new
repository is being made but the user need not concern with the
technicalities. ‘Remixing’ a font creates a fork etcetera

I see Drupal already has something like
http://drupal.org/project/versioncontrol