[OpenFontLibrary] Why Drupal?

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Sun Jul 4 09:25:40 PDT 2010

Hi,

On 4 Jul 2010, at 14:32, <eric at authoritism.net> wrote:

> I think it would be good to move away from the CMS paradigm where the
> content is stored inside the system itself. I would strongly favour to
> *not* have font files in the cms, but rather have the website be a
> front-end to a font-hosting service. Font-hosting as, hosting the source
> code for open source fonts in a structured manner as Nicolas is
> researching, in a proper distributed version control system. This way you
> don’t lock up your font data in yet another system.

I think that's exactly what we need.

It seems that a central feature would be to provide 2 URLs:

- stable version (for users)
- version under VCS (for collaborators and remixers)

Each font will be in an independent repository, which could be within OFLB or could be on a third party site. Hosting multiple version control systems sounds like a bad idea, so perhaps we link out to third-party-hosted repositories?

<snipped>

> I see Drupal already has something like
> http://drupal.org/project/versioncontrol

Looks interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ben

--

Ben Weiner | http://readingtype.org.uk/about/contact.html
+44 (0) 7780 608 659