[OpenFontLibrary] Why Drupal?

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 03:34:35 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> I think since most designers do not use version control, and do not
> plan to learn it, we shouldn't bother them with that.

I guess it depends on what you want OFLB to become. It could either be
just a place to drop off the fonts when finished, or it could become a
developer's place like sourceforge. Or we could cater for both and let
the developers decide what they need.

But at the very least you need some method to download old released
versions of the font files.

> I see OFLB as an "upload bucket," and if a designer publishes a new
> version of a font, it should be highlighted as a derivative from the
> same username of the original (an easy feature to code) and removing
> files should not be possible at a file level, only removing the entire
> font family record.

So new versions will have to be renamed? Or how else would it work? So
a third version would then be a derivative from the second, and so
on... So will you have to walk a whole tree if you get a link to
version 1 and want to get to the latest version?

I think it looks ugly to have a new version seen as a derivative of
the first one. It's the same font after all.

Greetings
Ben