[OpenFontLibrary] Why Drupal?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Jul 4 23:20:48 PDT 2010

On 4 July 2010 10:25, Ben Weiner <ben at readingtype.org.uk> wrote:
> On 4 Jul 2010, at 14:32, <eric at authoritism.net> wrote:
>
>> I think it would be good to move away from the CMS paradigm where the
>> content is stored inside the system itself. I would strongly favour to
>> *not* have font files in the cms, but rather have the website be a
>> front-end to a font-hosting service. Font-hosting as, hosting the source
>> code for open source fonts in a structured manner as Nicolas is
>> researching, in a proper distributed version control system. This way you
>> don’t lock up your font data in yet another system.
>
> I think that's exactly what we need.

I think since most designers do not use version control, and do not
plan to learn it, we shouldn't bother them with that.

I see OFLB as an "upload bucket," and if a designer publishes a new
version of a font, it should be highlighted as a derivative from the
same username of the original (an easy feature to code) and removing
files should not be possible at a file level, only removing the entire
font family record.

I think another site centered around version control would be better,
probably based on Trac or IkiWiki or Launchpad (ie, web views to DVCS
already existing.)