[OpenFontLibrary] OpenFontLibrary Digest, Vol 54, Issue 1

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 18:53:53 PDT 2010

On 6/5/10, Fontfreedom at aol.com <Fontfreedom at aol.com> wrote:
> FontBasis is a proposed offshoot of openfontlibrary.org with the same
> basic goals, free open source license fonts, but with an anticopyleft
> requirement.
>
> openfontlibrary.com was setup to be an anticopyleft openfontlibrary.
> It is currently forwarding to openfontlibrary.org, but that may  change.

OK, so you have a strong opinion against copyleft. Fine by me, you're
allowed to think whatever you want.

But can't you see that using the name openfontlibrary for your
spin-off version won't help us, nor yourself? You're only going to
confuse everyone. Just think on how you'd communicate this to visitors
who look for openfontlibrary.org and find themselves on
openfontlibrary.com, or vice versa. Furthermore you keep mentioning
openfontlibrary.com on this mailing list over and over again, blurring
the lines between the two even more. And now you're (sort of)
redirecting openfontlibrary.com to .org and you happily tell us that
this may change in future. What, is this some plan to get users to
bookmark the .com url and then redirecting them to fontbasis once one
of your 140 Russians finishes your site?

Just choose alright what you want to do with the .com domain. Use it
yourself and stop directing to our .org (and stop behaving like you
belong to the openfontlibrary.org community), or let us use the domain
and hand it over to us (and we'll wish all the best with your
project).

> Also. Someone please fire Dave.

Now you're basically shooting yourself in the foot. If you ever want
to make a point on a mailing list, then doing that by attacking the
one person who does most of the work and without whom we maybe even
wouldn't have an open font community today is a sure way to basically
get everyone here against you. Why would you even say that? What has
he done that we should "fire" him?

Ben