[OpenFontLibrary] Oflb.org

Barry Schwartz chemoelectric at chemoelectric.org
Sat Jun 12 12:43:41 PDT 2010

vernon adams <vern at newtypography.co.uk> skribis:
> The onus is on open, not free. That seems to be in line with the oflb.
> It's secondary that the software is free (as in ££$$).

"Open" is almost worthless when it comes to fonts; it is uncommon to
find a font that isn't in a fixable and modifiable. Sure, it would be
nice to have the feature file scripts, or whatever, but not having
them isn't a serious problem.

What matters is that the fonts are free software -- not freeware. I
myself have been reluctant to accept the OFL in part because it has
that restriction on unbundled selling. If that weren't a provision
with a loophole a couple of parsecs wide, I probably wouldn't make OFL
versions of my fonts.

It's good to see the new system going online, because the old system
rejected my fonts one day and swallowed them whole the next. :)