[OpenFontLibrary] Oflb.org

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Wed Jun 30 10:35:01 PDT 2010

Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric at chemoelectric.org> writes:

> What matters is that the fonts are free software -- not freeware. I
> myself have been reluctant to accept the OFL in part because it has
> that restriction on unbundled selling. If that weren't a provision
> with a loophole a couple of parsecs wide, I probably wouldn't make
> OFL versions of my fonts.

I realize this approach may not be for everyone, but after thinking
about the matter at some length I ended up releasing the font I
created (Blooming Grove) into the public domain.  My thinking was,
virtually any license I could release it under would have some
restrictions that might prevent it from being used in some way that I
cannot necessarily anticipate beforehand.  (For instance, a lot of
otherwise reasonably permissive font licenses don't allow @font-face
embedding, or don't allow format conversion to the special embeddable
format that IE uses, because that wasn't conceived of when the license
was written.  I wouldn't want something like that to happen to a font
that I put a lot of work into.)  By releasing it completely into the
public domain, all the bases are covered:  I don't have to worry that
someone won't be able to use it for something I didn't think about.

Of course, if there are restrictions that you *do* want, then this
option may not be for you.  But for me, I was more interested in
allowing the font to be used, rather than restricting its use.

--

v4sw5Phw5ln5pr5FPO/ck2ma9u7FLw2/5l6/7i6e6t2b7/en4a3Xr5g5T
http://hackerkey.com/decrypt.php?hackerkey=v4sw5PprFPOck2ma9uFw2l6i6e6t2b7en4g5T