[OpenFontLibrary] Revival of the fittest

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Thu Jun 24 14:21:00 PDT 2010

Hi everyone;

I mentioned this to a couple of you individually at LGM this year, but for
everyone else, I decided I want to work on a revival -- in large part to get
better with the font toolchain but without having to start entirely from
scratch.

So I've been looking over sample books and trying both find something I like
and to cross reference what's there with existing open fonts....  But rather
than just pick out something that I like the looks of personally, I'd prefer
to work on something useful, so I was hoping I could solicit opinions from
the more knowledgable folks on the list about my current crop of
candidates.  If anything of these have been done already under an open
license, or bear striking similarities to one, then they're off my list.  On
top of that, though, if any in particular is a better choice for some other
reason that you know of, I'm all ears.

Anyway, here's what I've turned up that I like thus far:
Nicolas Cochin
Ronaldson
Della Robbia
and, to a lesser extent, Thermo Types

... if that is the right name.  I started looking through the scans at Raph
Levien's site, then went others at archive.org.  In any event, there seems
to be no shortage of possibilities.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom
related to these candidates in particular?  I'm entirely open to all
feedback and re-direction....

Thanks,
Nate
--