[OpenFontLibrary] Revival of the fittest

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jun 24 14:40:21 PDT 2010

Hi!

On 24 June 2010 22:21, Nathan Willis <nwillis at glyphography.com> wrote:

> I mentioned this to a couple of you individually at LGM this year, but for
> everyone else, I decided I want to work on a revival -- in large part to get
> better with the font toolchain but without having to start entirely from
> scratch.

Okay cool!

I wonder why you choose to work on a revival instead of an original
design in a specific genre, though? That seems more fun to me,
personally :-)

> Nicolas Cochin

Typeface design date: 1912 or earlier (says
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/nicolas-cochin-lt/)

> Ronaldson

Typeface design date: 1884 (says
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/canadatype/ronaldson/)

> Della Robbia

Typeface design date: 1902 (says
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/della-robbia/)

> and, to a lesser extent, Thermo Types

Typeface design date: 1934 (says http://typophile.com/node/69594 -
with Raph's link to scans)

> ... if that is the right name.

(no plural)

> I started looking through the scans at Raph
> Levien's site, then went others at archive.org.  In any event, there seems
> to be no shortage of possibilities.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom
> related to these candidates in particular?  I'm entirely open to all
> feedback and re-direction....

These are all certainly public domain designs, so no worries there.

(I heard Germany has a 50 year copyright term for typeface designs, so
that's now the maximum legal restriction in the world that I have
heard of - I had heard the UK's 25 year term was the longest, but none
of this is lawyer-checked...)

My personal subjective opinion on that list would be,

Thermotype
Ronaldson
Cochin
Della Robbia

but really, the best type to design is the type you WANT to work on
and use yourself :-)

Go for it! Any questions, ask this list :-)

Cheers