[OpenFontLibrary] Revival of the fittest

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Jun 24 14:45:11 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 04:21:00PM -0500, Nathan Willis wrote:
> Hi everyone;
>
> I mentioned this to a couple of you individually at LGM this year, but for
> everyone else, I decided I want to work on a revival -- in large part to get
> better with the font toolchain but without having to start entirely from
> scratch.
>
> So I've been looking over sample books and trying both find something I like
> and to cross reference what's there with existing open fonts....  But rather
> than just pick out something that I like the looks of personally, I'd prefer to
> work on something useful, so I was hoping I could solicit opinions from the
> more knowledgable folks on the list about my current crop of candidates.  If
> anything of these have been done already under an open license, or bear
> striking similarities to one, then they're off my list.  On top of that,
> though, if any in particular is a better choice for some other reason that you
> know of, I'm all ears.

I'd like to see a Garamond font, AFAIK there isn't any libre enough
ones, though a very popular typeface. Junicode is the closest I can
find, but I can't really tell how close to Garamond is it. URW Garamond
No 8 is under AFPL, which is free for non-commercial use only.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny