[OpenFontLibrary] Revival of the fittest

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Thu Jun 24 20:02:14 PDT 2010

Great initiative Nathan

Originality: For professional type designers another reason to make original designs is that they are a way to differentiate yourself in a saturated market. But open source typefaces aren’t exactly a saturated market yet :)

I like the idea of revivals for open source type design. You can benefit from the mindshare of the font being revived. If you do a Didot or a Caslon or a Garamond or a etc. you make something people already know they need. If you make an original design you will have to convince everybody from scratch.

And to get started with collaboration might be more easy around something that’s part of a shared visual idiom, rather than personal vision.

here’s a nice Caslon:
http://www.archive.org/details/specimenofprinti00casl

I agree also an oldstyle would be very nice. I got a specimen of Raph’s page last year for a type by Mardersteig, started cutting up the specimen into glyphs. It was designed I think before WOII, so should be OK no?
put it up:
http://github.com/codingisacopingstrategy/open-oldstyle

cheers

Op 25 jun 2010, om 01:51 heeft Dave Crossland het volgende geschreven: