[OpenFontLibrary] Revival of the fittest

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Fri Jun 25 06:51:05 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> I wonder why you choose to work on a revival instead of an original
> design in a specific genre, though? That seems more fun to me,
> personally :-)
>
> Oh, you know, partly general
trying-not-to-bite-off-more-than-you-can-chew-ism w.r.t. a new project, and
partly hoping that working on a revival proves to be a good source of
inspiration.  But I also thought Eric had a really good point:

And to get started with collaboration might be more easy around something
> that’s part of a shared visual idiom, rather than personal vision.

... if you want to get contributions from people outside your own character
set (though I don't know what the collaboration stats are like for OFL in
general -- I'm curious about that, though, like how many people are
receiving patches of different kinds....)

Sure, I mean that making a revival isn't as fun as taking a model from
> history and reworking it into an original design.

Ah; yes indeed -- perhaps "reincarnation" is a better term then.  I do
agree, for example, that the ascenders in Cochin are out of control, but
there are so many other bits that are great....

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.  Clearly there's no shortage of
ideas.  Isn't there a Caslon from George Williams already, though?

And, actually, News Gothic was on my original list from the ATF scans; don't
know why I left it off originally....

Thanks,
Nate

--