[OpenFontLibrary] hinting workflow

Barry Schwartz chemoelectric at chemoelectric.org
Sat Jun 26 14:01:42 PDT 2010

Schrijver <eric at authoritism.net> skribis:

> He mentioned that hinting actually is the bottleneck for new fonts
> for the screen, whether open source or commercial: it costs a huge
> amount of time, and the required knowledge and skill are rare.

The problem probably would go away if we put as much effort into
making renderers more clever as people are putting into instructing
fonts, or indeed if Adobe simply released CoolType or whatever they
are calling their renderer as free software. Decently designed and
hinted PostScript fonts work very nicely in Adobe Reader, to my eyes
better than all but a few TrueType fonts do in a browser.

It's disheartening to me that the transition to web fonts doesn't go
along with a transition of screen fonts from TrueType to CFF.