[OpenFontLibrary] hinting workflow

Eric Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Wed Jun 30 12:58:54 PDT 2010

Op zaterdag 26-06-2010 om 16:01 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Barry
Schwartz:
> Schrijver <eric at authoritism.net> skribis:
>
> > He mentioned that hinting actually is the bottleneck for new fonts
> > for the screen, whether open source or commercial: it costs a huge
> > amount of time, and the required knowledge and skill are rare.
>
> The problem probably would go away if we put as much effort into
> making renderers more clever as people are putting into instructing
> fonts, or indeed if Adobe simply released CoolType or whatever they
> are calling their renderer as free software. Decently designed and
> hinted PostScript fonts work very nicely in Adobe Reader, to my eyes
> better than all but a few TrueType fonts do in a browser.
>
> It's disheartening to me that the transition to web fonts doesn't go
> along with a transition of screen fonts from TrueType to CFF.

Well, I guess we can take heart in the increasing dpi of hand-held
devices.
That should trickle to desktop displays

Random slashdot quote:

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/06/25/1355257/A-Professional-Perspective-On-Apples-Retina-Display?art_pos=32
I agree, imagine if we had computer screens with this pixel density! We
could finally have smoothly scalable *and* sharp fonts. It would also
stop the need to add hinting to fonts, which is apparently really
tedious and difficult.

Yet maybe vendors can first finally make desktop uis nicely zoomable.
My one laptop is higher dpi then the other; on the one I squint on the
other stuff looks fuzzy…