[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Treatment of the OFL in the wild

Vernon Adams vern at newtypography.co.uk
Fri Jun 7 10:45:33 PDT 2013

Yes. To me it is clearly distribution, because, as Victor pointed out, with the OFL 'embedding' and 'distribution' are mutually exclusive. So, any form of distribution (however 'on the edge' of embedding it may be) makes it wholly 'distribution'.
In the case of Adobe (i've not checked other services) the only thing they are distributing is WOFF files. Now, in the example of my fonts, i have never published any woff versions of my fonts, so to convert from my sources to a woff, is a clear 'modification', i would say. The main reason i would say it is a major modification, is because my OFL fonts have been designed and published to be used for web, print, whatever. A woff is a totally useless format for quite a few end user situations. Hence why i would like to see a web tool that easilly identifies a woff font in a web page, extracts the font from the browser cache, converts it to OTF or TTF and downloads it for any other use.

-vern