[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Treatment of the OFL in the wild

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Jun 7 12:21:42 PDT 2013

On 7 June 2013 13:45, Vernon Adams <vern at newtypography.co.uk> wrote:

> to convert from my sources to a woff, is a clear 'modification', i would say.

The OFL FAQ and I both disagree with this; WOFF is simply compression,
not modification, and it guarantees 100% that the data you put into
the compression process will be the data you get out. EOT and WOFF2
can rearrange the data so it won't checksum the same, but it will be
the same for all practical purposes. The tools used to make
WOFF/EOT/WOFF2 may however make it very convenient to modify the fonts
(subsetting, etc) before compression is applied.

> The main reason i would say it is a major modification, is because my OFL fonts
>  have been designed and published to be used for web, print, whatever.

Compressing them won't change that.

> A woff is a totally useless format for quite a few end user situations.

? :)

Its trivial to decompress WOFF, and there are a handful of independent
implementaitons.

> Hence why i would like to see a web tool that easilly identifies a
> woff font in a web page, extracts the font from the browser cache,
> converts it to OTF or TTF and downloads it for any other use.

If you want to fund it, I can find a developer.