[OpenFontLibrary] Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:11:09 PST 2014

Hi, Dave!

I just submitted a proposal for a 20 minute presentation for the upcoming
Libre Graphics Meeting on the development of my Tai Tham font.

I think there is a fairly interesting story that is being driven by the
synergies of unmet needs and unfolding at the intersection of technology
and design.  There is a lot of interest in Southeast Asia and
internationally to preserve and make palm leaf manuscripts available to
scholars and the wider public online. Collaborations between organizations
in the West and in Southeast Asia are already making palm leaf manuscripts
available online (e.g.: l'École française d'Extrême-Orient (EFEO) in France
and  Sirindhorn Anthropology Centre (SAC) in Bangkok; and also the National
Library of Laos along with the University of Passau and the
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin Preußischer Kulturbesitz in Germany) --- but at
the same time high-quality Unicode-based Tai Tham fonts and input methods
are not yet available. Of course I'm working on a Tai Tham font; and
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan in Thailand is working on Tai Tham input methods
that will automatically perform normalisation of the input sequence
(normalisation issues could easily be a whole talk by itself!). On my end,
working on a Tai Tham font, collaboration with the HarfBuzz OpenType layout
engine community is proving critical to getting things done.

I don't know if the LibreGraphics folks are interested, but just thought
I'd let you know.

I'm now making good progress on some of the technical OpenType hurdles in
Hariphunchai. Hopefully I will be submitting an invoice to Google quite
soon :-)

Best Wishes -- Ed