[OpenICC] monitor/videocard identification

Ben Guthro bguthro at gretagmacbeth.com
Mon Dec 6 01:33:45 EST 2004

I have been looking into a solution such as this for the past couple of
years

knowing which monitor is attached to which graphics card, associated
with what coordinates  has been a problem under *nix in my development
so far for a display calibration system.

For those displays that support it, the EDID information can be
obtained via i2c-dev, with the proper command set. X does support this
to a certain degree on certain graphics boards by setting an X atom
containing the EDID information. However, this becomes problematic in a
Xinerama solution where only one display object is exposed.

Adjusting other DDC controls (Brightness, contrast, color gains) of a
DDC/ci capable display can be achieved via the i2c-dev kernel module
with the correct application calls.

Associating an ICC profile with a particular display is somewhere that
seems to be currently lacking in linux. The xf86vmSetGammaRamp (I think
thats the call) specifies one display object, and again in a Xinerama
solution, only one is exposed. Therefore only one gamma ramp may be set
for both displays.

If Oyranos could expose any of this functionality any better than it is
currently, I think that it would make for some drastic improvements in
the capabilities of the color management solution.

Ben

Ben Guthro
Software Engineer
Center of Excellence for Display Technologies
a Gretag Macbeth Company
603.681.0315 x234