[OpenICC] monitor/videocard identification

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Dec 6 04:18:46 EST 2004

Ben,

at the most involving Oyranos could use an external hardware calibration
library to indentifiy monitors and graphic cards. Currently I think of the
project as an configuration system, later extensible about more
components.
Even I agree with You hardware detection is an important task.
Oyranos itself is not an good place for hardware detection.

What does the X people think about an external system, configuring X
colour internals? Xcalib could be such an application taking arguments
from Oyranos.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + imaging development / panoramas
                                + color management
                                + email: ku.b at gmx.de
                                + CMS proposal <www.behrmann.name>

Am 05.12.04, 09:33 -0500 schrieb Ben Guthro:

> I have been looking into a solution such as this for the past couple of
> years
>
> knowing which monitor is attached to which graphics card, associated
> with what coordinates  has been a problem under *nix in my development
> so far for a display calibration system.
>
> For those displays that support it, the EDID information can be
> obtained via i2c-dev, with the proper command set. X does support this
> to a certain degree on certain graphics boards by setting an X atom
> containing the EDID information. However, this becomes problematic in a
> Xinerama solution where only one display object is exposed.
>
> Adjusting other DDC controls (Brightness, contrast, color gains) of a
> DDC/ci capable display can be achieved via the i2c-dev kernel module
> with the correct application calls.

Does someone know where to find documentation and/or sample code?