[Openicc] Color management in gimp

Maria, Marti marti.maria at hp.com
Sat Apr 2 23:53:57 EST 2005

Hi Paco,

>I wonder...
>¿How can one program an efficient color management
> solution if cannot insert it in the visualization
> section of the aplication?
>I think littleCMS as a plug-in is not a practical
> solution. It does not serves at all.

Please keep in mind lcms, as most CMM, is only a low-level engine. It can effectively apply color transforms to a raster data. But it has no access to devices like monitor, printer and so. It is up to the application software to use the CMM as a tool to get the correct color translation before sending data to the output devices.

For a "good" color management in Gimp, lcms should be integrated in the core program, not only as a plug-in. There is another program, Scribus, that does that in a pretty successful way:

http://www.scribus.net/

Regards
Marti Maria.