[Openicc] Color management in gimp

Francisco Bernal Rosso pacorosso at ono.com
Sun Apr 3 08:34:54 EST 2005

> We need the infrastructure to store the information for input devices
> (cameras, scanners, etc.), the monitor/flatpanels, and output devices
> (printers, etc.) in a standard way and location...

/etc/icc

> Then, in concert with lcms or equivalent, we will have a chance of
> convincing application developers/toolkit developers to update their
> applications/toolkits to support color management....

Only need one thing: in the procedure where the pixels are sended to the
screen, translate the numbers to the screen profile.
When opening reading a pixel from the file, translate it to the wrok space.
Only 2 calls to the lcms library.
Other call for convert to profile.
Some functions to do the soft proofing.
But to insert the code to screenmanagement and work space will not take more
than 10 minutes.

/*--------------------------------------*/
"If quality is important, sRGB is not an option"
(From the European Color Initiative web page www.eci.org)

Francisco Bernal Rosso

Luz-color-fotografia
Redacción y traducción

Webpage at:
http://pacorosso.blogspot.com
http://www.geocities.com/pacorosso
http://www.fotoforum.net/socios/b/b_f/fotos.htm
http://www.michelle7.com/contributors/r/paco_rosso.htm

> Then, in concert with lcms or equivalent, we will have a chance of
> convincing application developers/toolkit developers to update their
> applications/toolkits to support color management....
>
> Modularity arguments make it pretty clear the color management system
> itself should be pluggable, etc., and one component of this larger
> infrastructure....
> - Jim
>
> On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 15:53 +0200, Maria, Marti wrote:
> >
> > Hi Paco,
> >
> > >I wonder...
> > >¿How can one program an efficient color management
> > > solution if cannot insert it in the visualization
> > > section of the aplication?
> > >I think littleCMS as a plug-in is not a practical
> > > solution. It does not serves at all.
> >
> > Please keep in mind lcms, as most CMM, is only a low-level engine. It
can effectively apply color transforms to a raster data. But it has no
access to devices like monitor, printer and so. It is up to the application
software to use the CMM as a tool to get the correct color translation
before sending data to the output devices.

> > For a "good" color management in Gimp, lcms should be integrated in the
core program, not only as a plug-in. There is another program, Scribus, that
does that in a pretty successful way: