[Openicc] Color management in gimp

PLinnell mrdocs at scribus.info
Mon Apr 4 06:01:59 EST 2005

On Saturday 02 April 2005 21:45, Hal V Engel wrote:
> On Saturday 02 April 2005 07:59 am, Jim Gettys wrote:
> > Yes, you are identifying what is missing...
> >
> > We need the infrastructure to store the information for input
> > devices (cameras, scanners, etc.), the monitor/flatpanels, and
> > output devices (printers, etc.) in a standard way and location...
> >
> > Then, in concert with lcms or equivalent, we will have a chance
> > of convincing application developers/toolkit developers to update
> > their applications/toolkits to support color management....
> >
> > Modularity arguments make it pretty clear the color management
> > system itself should be pluggable, etc., and one component of
> > this larger infrastructure....
> > 				- Jim

This is exactly why this list was created.To pull together the right
folks for low noise/high quality discussion on how a free/open source
cms could be implemented, primarily, though not exclusively for
Linux.

There have been a lot of good ideas and suggestions so far. Over the
next few weeks I hope to write up a sketch of what concrete steps are
possible now and items to be researched with some specificity.

That said, I feel the GIMP team has received a lot of truly unfair
criticism about color management for a long time. They are not really
a huge group afterall. For a long time they have lacked both a
developer with cms knowhow, nor the means to test cms output. The
latter was essential for us on the Scribus team to make even modest
progress in implementing cms. There is more to do on that front as
well.

In my view they have done the steps logical order to bring in useful
color management. A complete rewrite of the core application, GEGL on
the way and now a couple of application models to show the way.

Just my 0.02..

Peter