[Openicc] Color management in gimp - not really

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Mon Apr 4 08:14:28 EST 2005

On Sunday 03 April 2005 23:54, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 03.04.05, 22:07 +0200 schrieb Craig Bradney:
> > Whos dream is that? Gimp is one of the programs Scribus relies on (as
> > theres
>
> Isn't this a configureable option in Scribus to select an external editor?

Of course it is. What I meant by "relying on" was that a large % of the user
base of DTP apps dont even consider the question of 8 or 16 bit images. Most
distros install Gimp by default, and most people are at least willing to give
it a go, having heard of it.

> Colour professionals went to CinePaint (our booth) and web designers and
> of course many hobbyists to GIMP.

Another point to make is that you dont have to be a "colour
professional" (wherever that wonderful term came from) to be doing DTP work.

In a lot of my recent experience with investigations of acceptable formats for
printers, most I met dont even trust a colour managed file, even if it comes
from an Adobe app etc. Printers have to deal with too much stuff in their
inbox like MS Publisher/Word sources files etc to even consider it. Moving
Linux forward to handle CM in a defined way WILL bring an alternative, and a
lot more awareness in general to CM/DTP/layout/graphics on Linux and CM in
general.

> A anecdote with GIMP development is, the team took a toolkit version
> change (gtk1 -> gtk2) to do the havily critizised major number change for
> GIMP-2.0 .
> It was long promised that this special version change remains reserved
> for GEGL integration. (GEGL was decided to support selectable bit depths
> and colour spaces but will not been finished soon.)
> The new gtk2 look and feel , with 8-bit TGB core, can indeed be important
> for a web editor.

Off topic flamebait: When's CinePaint moving to something less ugly than gtk
(GUI wise, I dont code GTK at all)? Despite the criticisms, Gimps move to
gtk2 has certainly opened it up to the newer userbase Linux has developed.
GTK and CinePaint on OSX looks ok from the screenshots, but in reality, it
needs more work for a "real" (whatever that is) Mac diehard to consider. A
lot will shy away from CinePaint towards Gimp just because of the GUI.

> Hal states here possibilities for GIMP, which are very contrary to my own
> discouraging experiences with GIMP development.

I think in the end, this is a good point to say this list is not the place for
arguments about cinepaint versus gimp, or any other app versus another app,
or choice of GUI toolkit.

The list was started to bring forward discussions to bring colour management
to Linux as a general operation, rather than each app having to implement it
in their own way, with no hope of support from other apps (eg, the Gimp,
Inkscape, Scribus combo where Scribus is the only CMS enabled app).

A perfect example of this is the decent amount of communication the Inkscape
and Scribus team has. Theres no need to start a rant vs rant now that the
list is making progress.

Craig
Scribus Team