[Openicc] Color management in gimp - not really

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Mon Apr 4 08:43:10 EST 2005

Hi,

Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> writes:

> A anecdote with GIMP development is, the team took a toolkit version
> change (gtk1 -> gtk2) to do the havily critizised major number change for
> GIMP-2.0.

Sorry, but that is wrong. The change to GIMP 2.0 was an incompatible
change to the plug-in API. Since then, the GIMP 2.0 API has been kept
compatible and will be kept compatible. That was the main reason for
changing the major version number and I don't think this change has
ever been heavily critizised.

> It was long promised that this special version change remains
> reserved for GEGL integration. (GEGL was decided to support
> selectable bit depths and colour spaces but will not been finished
> soon.)

That is wrong as well. Nothing has ever been promised. The fact that
an early roadmap used version numbers was a mistake. But who would
take a roadmap as a promise? Development of a free software project
depends on the interests of the developers. Since there are only very
few developers interested in CM and higher color depths, development
in this area is rather slow. Anyone who'd like to change this, can do
so and the contributions will be very much welcomed.

Anyway, this is irrelevant to this list and I kindly ask you to stop
spreading such misinformations.

Sven