[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint

Gerhard Fuernkranz nospam456 at gmx.de
Mon Apr 11 06:48:47 EST 2005

Robert L Krawitz schrieb:

>It currently supports the following input types:
>
>[...]
>* Printer-specific raw (what specific options are offered depends upon
>  the printer)

Is "raw" input n-color con-tone, or already halftoned input?

>Agreed. There's also "gloss optimizer", which is basically a clear
>ink that's intended to be used in areas with little ink to even out
>the ink usage and match the gloss for the entire image.

Wow! That's IMO also a channel, which should be added by the driver
automatically, and which should not be considered as additional channel
by an ICC profile, since it is not applied for colorimetric reasons
(i.e. to achieve the right color), but for different criteria.

>   Btw, is printing with spot colors (e.g. CMYK + two different
>   Pantone inks) actually a topic which needs to be seriously
>   considered? For offset printing, this is indeed a serious issue,
>   but what about inkjet printing?
>
>I think so, because of ink limiting concerns. Dump too much ink on
>the page and you might get compressed or even non-monotonic curves,
>bleed-through, or even gumming up the printer.

I do not understand the relation to ink limiting concerns.

Actually I wanted to ask: May people seriously (not just for fun)
consider to fill e.g. some Pantone spot color inks into the 5th and 6th
ink tank of their inkjet printer, in addition to CMKY in the first four
tanks? (for instance instead of filling the tanks with CMYKcm, as
actually intended by the manufacturer).

Regards,
Gerhard