[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 11 07:00:35 EST 2005

   Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:48:47 +0200
   From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456 at gmx.de>

   Robert L Krawitz schrieb:

   >It currently supports the following input types:
   >
   >[...]
   >* Printer-specific raw (what specific options are offered depends upon
   >  the printer)

   Is "raw" input n-color con-tone, or already halftoned input?

N-color continuous tone, although you have the orthogonal option of
pre-halftoning it.

   >Agreed. There's also "gloss optimizer", which is basically a clear
   >ink that's intended to be used in areas with little ink to even out
   >the ink usage and match the gloss for the entire image.

   Wow! That's IMO also a channel, which should be added by the driver
   automatically, and which should not be considered as additional
   channel by an ICC profile, since it is not applied for colorimetric
   reasons (i.e. to achieve the right color), but for different
   criteria.

Although it no doubt has an effect on the color...

   >   Btw, is printing with spot colors (e.g. CMYK + two different
   >   Pantone inks) actually a topic which needs to be seriously
   >   considered? For offset printing, this is indeed a serious issue,
   >   but what about inkjet printing?
   >
   >I think so, because of ink limiting concerns. Dump too much ink on
   >the page and you might get compressed or even non-monotonic curves,
   >bleed-through, or even gumming up the printer.

   I do not understand the relation to ink limiting concerns.

If you're printing a lot of spot color, you might want to adjust the
other inks to prevent overloading the page.

   Actually I wanted to ask: May people seriously (not just for fun)
   consider to fill e.g. some Pantone spot color inks into the 5th and
   6th ink tank of their inkjet printer, in addition to CMKY in the
   first four tanks? (for instance instead of filling the tanks with
   CMYKcm, as actually intended by the manufacturer).

I don't know, but I do know that some people have done hextone ink sets.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton