[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Apr 11 09:15:13 EST 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

[ stuff removed ]

> That's a brief summary of my understanding of printing, but maybe others have
> a completely different understanding.

This is how I prefer to think of printing as well.  I tend to think of
printing as preparation of another format which may use a
(potentially) device independent description of the document.  This is
what I think of as the "Adobe" model.  With this model, the
application does not care if what it produces is processed for a
"dumb" device by another application on the same system, or is sent
over the network to a "smart" printer which does the remaining
processing.

The thinking of many is influenced by the Microsoft Windows GDI-based
printing model in which applications use operating system programming
interfaces to "draw" what they want the system to print.  The
operating system then uses a driver to convert that description into a
binary blob of data targeted for a specific printer.  With this
approach, the application accesses the printer by using an operating
system library and therefore does not directly prepare any formatted
data for the printer.

The advantage of the "Adobe" model is that it is more likely to
produce "portable" output which may be supplied to a variety of
printers and it is not tied to device drivers.  The advantage of the
"Microsoft" model is that applications only need to know how to use
system drawing APIs (potentially simpler) and since since there is no
intermediate form, printing may be more efficient.

Bob