[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint]

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 13 10:03:53 EST 2005

   From: Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au>
   Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:00:40 +0200

   On Tuesday 12 April 2005 21:49, Michael Sweet wrote:
   > In short, if you want to share your personal profiles, you need
   > to run a command to do it (or have some nice GUI do it for you) -
   > we won't configure CUPS to be insecure by default.

   Ok.. continuing playing devils advocate here..

   and in the case where the printer isnt run via CUPS? Shouldnt we be
   moving towards a general system (and user) location (/etc/icc and
   ~/.icc perhaps) rather than locating in a particular application's
   or server's install dirs?

This is going to be an issue with any spooler, for much the same
reason -- it's a general security issue, and certainly isn't specific
to CUPS.

We should not be designing something that only operates in a
single-user environment where the user has administrative privileges
(or worse yet, runs as administrator) and there's no spooler involved.
That may work in a home or SOHO environment, but it's not a general
solution.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton