[Openicc] Introduction / Gutenprint]

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Apr 13 10:07:13 EST 2005

Craig Bradney wrote:
> Ok.. continuing playing devils advocate here..
>
> and in the case where the printer isnt run via CUPS? Shouldnt we be moving
> towards a general system (and user) location (/etc/icc and ~/.icc perhaps)
> rather than locating in a particular application's or server's install dirs?

Nothing prevents a driver from publishing its ICC profiles in its
own (or another standard) location, or a Linux distributor from
symlinking the CUPS profiles directory to a "standard" location.

(my personal preference would be a symlink under the CUPS profiles
directory called "openicc" or "gnome" or "desktop" or something like
that, so it would be a simple matter to access the "standard" profiles
in a way that doesn't force printer-specific profiles to clutter up
the desktop profiles...)