[Openicc] explanations about Jan-Peters logical printer approach

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Thu Apr 21 19:12:30 EST 2005

Hello list

There were some questions and interpretations about my concept for
print-colormanagement with logical printers. I hope I can thinks more clear:

Writing a concept, which could be implemented durings some months
We should discuss concepts, which fitting the functionality of the
applications we are talking about.
If colormanagement for the printing process should work for the normal
user, we need a concept for delivering cannend profiles for standard
print-settings.
We also need the possibility, that people can make their own set of
profiles and printer-settings and make them easy downloadable and
instalable for other users.
The concept of the logical printer is available in gutenprint, so I
choosed it.
If somebody has an idea, which delivers the same functionality and which
could implemented with actual solutions, please figure out:

- how to connect profiles and linearization-files with printer-settings ?
- How to make an easy and downloadble installer for a set of profiles,
lin-files and printer-settings ?
- What has to do for realizing this concept, and who will do it ?

Dealing with the document-colorspace
-------------------------------------
If we make a color-transformation for printing, this is mainly a
colortransformtion from the actual document-colorspace to the profile of
the print-setting.
Ideal would be a mechanism, that gets the document-colorspace
automaticly from the application from which is printed and the
printer-profile from the print-setting, the user has chosen.
Unfortunatly, this seems not possible with actual applications.
So we have either configure the printer-profile in CUPS or configure the
document colorspace in gutenprint (or another device-driver).

As most colormanagement-needs for the graphic arts professionals can
solved with a handful of document-colorspaces:
- sRGB
- AdobeRGB
- SWOP
- ISOcoated
I choosed the solution to configure the document-colorspace in the
logical-printer.
If we have solution to transport the document colorspace in the chain
- applications->CUPS->GhostScript->gutenprint, this would not necessary
But nobody in this list wrote, that there is a real way to do this.

The complicated linearization procedure
---------------------------------------
The linearization-procedure, which I have described, is the way, how
inkjet profiling is done in high-end applications, and what is hardcoded
in the standard-drivers for inkjets.

It didn´t mean, that the average user has to go this way to get
nice-colors from his Inkjet.
This users should just use the preconfigured logical printers.
It would be also possible to make an UI, which e.g. manipulates the
linearization curves of an logical printer with sliders (brightness,
contrast, greybalance..)

Even is somebody want to make his own profile, he didn´t has to do the
whole linearization procedure. He can take just take a given logical
printer, prints his testchart with disabled colormanagement and enabled
linearization and configure his onw profile in a duplication of this
logical printer.
But if we want to target the high-end AND the massmarket, we need the
possibility to make individual linearizations for each channel and set
an Inklimit for the total amount off color BEFORE we print the testchart
for profiling.

gutenprint as backend for CUPS/GhostScript, Gnomeprint, KDEprint, CAIRO
The concept is based on the input of a high-resolution bytemap with 8/16
Bit color per channel in the document-colorspace.
So, this concept can be combined with all kinds of printerdriver/RIPs
which can generate such bytemaps like e.g. CUPS/GhostScript, Gnomeprint,
KDEprint or CAIRO.
The colortransformation from the document-colorspace to the
printsetting-profile is always done in gutenprint.

Any questions ?
Please ask, if I´m not clear in my mails.

Greetings
:-) Jan-Peter

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18
Jan-Peter Homann ------------- mobile +49 171 54 70 358