[OpenICC] Oyranos - proof of concept

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Apr 23 01:18:54 EST 2005

Am 22.04.05, 08:31 -0400 schrieb Jim Gettys:

> On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 13:19 +0200, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>
> > A small utility - oyranos-gamma makes a call to the separate
> > liboyranos-moni.so lib to obtain, by a (poor) heuristic, the best matching
> > monitor profile name.
> > Xcalib is called to upload the eventually contained vcgt tag to the
> > graphics card. The function to set the monitor profile is currently
> > utilised in icc_examin only. Oyranos-gamma can be automatically called
> > from a X init script like '.xinitrc'.
> >

> We'll need to ensure that hot-plug of monitors  on the fly is
> possible/convenient. This is a very common operation these days given
> laptops.  It is certainly something we plan to do for X in general.
>
> D-Bus is the obvious candidate for part of the solution, given it's use
> in the Linux hotplug subsystem.

The current state of Oyranos is proof of concept.

This means first searching answeres to some very basic questions :
o is the APIs what we intent (paths, default profiles ...)?
  flexible , fitting in others concepts, already too complex
o is xml currently an issue?
o are there visible design flaws

When Oyranos can get basic agreement here, then comes the next stage to
create an alpha version. At this stage I'd like to touch D-Bus as well. It
is to early to think too much about extending now.

To X:
I think we can extend to realtime colour configuration for X . It
is ok to connect to D-Bus through a X dedicated library - liboyranos-moni.
How can X / Oyranos transport the monitor profile information
networktransparently  (Craigs question?) Similiar to DDC?

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas