[OpenICC] Oyranos - proof of concept

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sat Apr 23 05:08:10 EST 2005

Am 22.04.05, 11:28 -0400 schrieb Jim Gettys:

> > To X:
> > I think we can extend to realtime colour configuration for X . It
> > is ok to connect to D-Bus through a X dedicated library - liboyranos-moni.
> > How can X / Oyranos transport the monitor profile information
> > networktransparently  (Craigs question?) Similiar to DDC?
> >

> Arguably, unless the monitor profile information is huge, I'd recommend
> making it a property on the root window of each screen, that

Profile sizes varies from 1kB up to ~400kB depending if the
information is stored as matrix or as CLUT.

> applications can retrieve.  What is more, applications can get
> notification of changes to window properties, which would enable this to

What does X use for notification?

> be handled pretty easily in a cross toolkit fashion.  I think this is
> roughly what was done in the past in the ill fated attempts at building
> a CMS into Xlib.  And it means you can get started without any X server
> infrastructure changes; your program can load such properties on its
> own.

That seems reasonable.

> D-bus comes into play in telling the X server what is going on; after
> all, changing a monitor has other repercussions that the X server may
> need to know about directly.

Yes, I think less handling of hardware issues is better for Oyranos. If
Oyranos can get a signal from X about changes, update the monitor
information if appropriate and then signals to its own listeners that
would suffice.
Even though notification is not really possible now in Oyranos.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas