[OpenICC] Oyranos - proof of concept

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Sat Apr 23 05:12:49 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 21:08 +0200, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 22.04.05, 11:28 -0400 schrieb Jim Gettys:
>
> > > To X:
> > > I think we can extend to realtime colour configuration for X . It
> > > is ok to connect to D-Bus through a X dedicated library - liboyranos-moni.
> > > How can X / Oyranos transport the monitor profile information
> > > networktransparently  (Craigs question?) Similiar to DDC?
> > >

> > Arguably, unless the monitor profile information is huge, I'd recommend
> > making it a property on the root window of each screen, that
>
> Profile sizes varies from 1kB up to ~400kB depending if the
> information is stored as matrix or as CLUT.

And what is a typical size?  400kB is large, but these days, it isn't as
huge as it might have been in the past...

> > applications can retrieve.  What is more, applications can get
> > notification of changes to window properties, which would enable this to
>
> What does X use for notification?

You select for PropertyNotify, and get notified by the X server with an
event whenever the property is changed.  This is how, for example,
applications get told that their keyboard mapping has changed.

> > be handled pretty easily in a cross toolkit fashion.  I think this is
> > roughly what was done in the past in the ill fated attempts at building
> > a CMS into Xlib.  And it means you can get started without any X server
> > infrastructure changes; your program can load such properties on its
> > own.
>
> That seems reasonable.
>
> > D-bus comes into play in telling the X server what is going on; after
> > all, changing a monitor has other repercussions that the X server may
> > need to know about directly.
>
> Yes, I think less handling of hardware issues is better for Oyranos. If
> Oyranos can get a signal from X about changes, update the monitor
> information if appropriate and then signals to its own listeners that
> would suffice.
> Even though notification is not really possible now in Oyranos.

Regards,
			- Jim