[Openicc] profile distribution / Adobe / ECI

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue May 31 00:30:10 EST 2005

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

> The standard Adobe profiles would be pretty interesting. They are freely
> available, but unfortunately, the Adobe color profile license only allows
> redistribution on a standalone basis, or embedded in images, but *NOT*
> bundled with, or incorporated into any other software. I'm not even sure,

As food for thought, last time I read the Adobe color profile license,
it seemed to me that distributing the profiles within image files
would be perfectly legitimate.  It is not particularly difficult to
extract profiles from image files.  In fact, with
GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick you can specify an image file where you
would specify the name of a profile, and any profiles in the image
will be used just as if the image file was a profile.

Bob