[Openicc] profile distribution / Adobe / ECI

Gerhard Fuernkranz nospam456 at gmx.de
Mon May 30 23:32:44 EST 2005

> Adobe
> -----
> Adobe offers free download, usage and some forms of distribution of
> their profiles at:
> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2348
> I understand, that the Adobe-profiles could part of the RPM, if the text
> of the Adobe-license is also provided.

The standard Adobe profiles would be pretty interesting. They are freely
available, but unfortunately, the Adobe color profile license only allows
redistribution on a standalone basis, or embedded in images, but *NOT*
bundled with, or incorporated into any other software. I'm not even sure,
whether packaging only the Adobe profiles in a separate RPM would be
sufficient to comply with this restriction, if this RPM is placed on the
same web page together with other software.

But I guess it would not be prohibited to supply a user-callable download
script, which automatically fetches the file from the Adobe web site,
unpacks the archive, and installs the profiles into the correct destination
directory. This could be even done in the %post section of the RPM, but I'm
not sure, if it is a good idea to connect to the internet automatically
during RPM installation.

http://www.eci.org/eci/downloads/ECI-de/iccprofile_der_eci/ECI_Offset_2004.zip
> Wich are already part of several software-distributions for proofing and
> PDF/X generation.

They are interesting and freely available as well, but I'm also not sure,
whether redistrubution is permitted. I could not find a statement regarding
redistribution on the ECI web site, and the profiles do contain a Copyright
tag. So I'd rather ask ECI first ...

Regards,
Gerhard