[Openicc] Re: Krita... (was color adjusting...)

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 14 21:26:07 EST 2005

   From: PLinnell <mrdocs at scribus.info>
   Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:54:35 +0200

   On Tuesday 14 June 2005 02:08, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   >    From: PLinnell <mrdocs at scribus.info>
   >    Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:46:50 +0200
   >
   >    On Monday 13 June 2005 23:05, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
   >    > > printing from krita
   >    > > -------------------
   >    > > Some months ago, we had a discussion about using
   >    > > icc-profiles for printing. The gutenprint project plans to
   >    > > integrate in the next release icc-profile support with lcms
   >    > > inside.
   >    >
   >    > I need to investigate that library, then. Does Scribus use
   >    > gutenprint, too? I should investigate...
   >
   >    Scribus has its own EPS, PS and PDF export routines.  If
   > gutenprint and CUPS are correctly installed Scribus can directly
   > access the settings within its own printer dialog.
   >
   > Does Scribus know about Gutenprint directly, or does it interact
   > with the PPD files?  If it knows about Gutenprint directly it can
   > access the linearization curves and other goodies that can't be
   > represented in PPD files.

   Just the PPD files.

   On the wish list : http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=2093

Once I have an account, I'm going to comment on that RFE, but some
comments here:

1) It expects raster (RGB, CMY, CMYK, grayscale, whitescale, or
   N-color raw) input in 8 or 16 bits per channel, and generates
   printer-specific output that's fed raw to the printer (it can also
   generate Postscript, but the Postscript generator's not very good).
   It's a raster-only driver.

2) Gutenprint 5.x uses a parameter-based interface, whereby the driver
   declares what parameters are available, along with their (dynamic)
   permitted values, and your application sets the parameters
   appropriately.

3) You can use the Postscript generator to generate (raster)
   Postscript, although since it doesn't have a full PPD file parser
   it's somewhat limited in what it can do.  This is on our list of
   things to fix.  While the Gutenprint core is quite portable, it
   would have portability implications, particularly to Windows (it is
   ported to OS X).

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton