[Openicc] Fwd: Re: Krita color adjusting

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jun 15 04:35:56 EST 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 20:22, Chris Murphy wrote:

> But for peat's sake, please do not equate this profile as something
> to use as the default profile for untagged images. That needs to be
> either sRGB always, or a separate selection.

If you import an untagged RGB image into Krita and you have neither a printer
nor a monitor profile then it stays untagged; otherwise it's assumed to be
sRGB. Is that correct?

> Many correction and enhancement tools work best in RGB. In particular
> RGB where R=G=B. Some of them even make assumptions about tone response.

Fortunately there'll be nothing to preven someone from editing his images in
RGB. But if you want to paint with something that works like (like, in a
simulation of actual physics) real paint then you need to use the wet &
sticky color model in Krita. Of course, when rendered it's rendered to RGB,
and then is assumed to be sRGB if there's a monitor profile, otherwise we
cannot do a transform.

> Why not limit yourselves to a single intermediate space? If you pick
> one big enough, with a suitable tone response to  make it docile
> enough for 8-bits/channel compositing, why not? I think the
> limitation is going to be bit-depth, at a certain level of
> functionality, rather than the choice of edit space. You can get a
> way with a lot at 16-bits/channel. And 32-bits/channel floating point
> files have arrived.

We're going for channel-depth flexibility, too. But there's no way I'm going
to try to store wetness, viscosity, paint concentration and any of possibly
120 color channel values in the same colorspace as 8-bit rgb images... Krita
is not just about colors on screen or on paper, it's also about the feel of
pushing real stuff around for the artist working with it.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi